Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Obedience May Involve Hardship

Acts 20:22-24: (Paul said) "And now, compelled by the Spirit, I am going to Jerusalem, not knowing what will happen to me there. I only know that in every city the Holy Spirit warns me that prison and hardships are facing me. However, I consider my life worth nothing to me, if only I may finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me-the task of testifying to the gospel of God's grace."

As Paul was concluding his third missionary journey, he was called by the Holy Spirit to return to Jerusalem to report to the church there what "God had done among the Gentiles through his ministry" (Acts 21:19). As the Holy Spirit gave these instructions to Paul, He also warned the apostle that hardships were awaiting him in the future. Paul had already been through so much personally on account of his propagating the gospel throughout the Mediterranean region . . . he had been imprisoned and beaten with rods in Philippi, he was stoned in Lystra, and he was threatened with bodily harm (even murder) by angry mobs in about every town he entered: (Damascus [Acts 9:23]; Jerusalem [Acts 9:29]; Pisidian Antioch [Acts 13:50]; Iconium [Acts 14:2,5]; Thessalonica [Acts 16:5f]; Berea [Acts 17:13]; Corinth [Acts 18:12]; and Ephesus [Acts 19:23f].

One could understand if Paul in the flesh would have told the Holy Spirit, "Look God, I've been through so much already for the sake of the gospel. Couldn't you propagate the Good News to the world in a way that would be less costly for me? In fact, I think I'm about ready to retire from ministry . . . . I've paid my spiritual dues to You and now I'm ready to live out the rest of my life quietly and peacefully."

Instead, we see that Paul was not encumbered in His determination to follow the will of God, no matter what it would cost him. Paul said, "I consider my life worth nothing to me, if only I may finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me-the task of testifying to the gospel of God's grace." For Paul, the grace of God was too glorious for Him to quit now; he was more desirous of finishing the "race" given to him by the Lord, no matter what it would cost him personally.

When Paul and his companions reached Caesarea (not far from Jerusalem), a prophet named Agabus prophesied rather demonstratively that Paul would be bound by the Jews and given over to the Gentiles for prosecution. Paul's cohorts attempted to dissuade the apostle from going to Jerusalem; but Paul in his confidence in the Lord Jesus Christ exclaimed, "Why are you weeping and breaking my heart? I am ready not only to be bound, but also to die in Jerusalem for the name of the Lord Jesus."

Paul continued with unabashed resolve to press on in his calling from the Holy Spirit, and as prophesied, he would in a matter of weeks be arrested in Jerusalem. As the "whole city was aroused" with Paul's arrival, angry rioters seized him and beat him mercilessly with the intention of killing him (Acts 21:31-32). He was only rescued by Roman troops who were alerted by the Jewish commotion and intervened to stop the escalating riotous behavior in the streets. This scene was only the beginning of a plurality of painful trials that Paul would experience; still ahead were imprisonment (Acts 21:33); assault (23:2); murderous threats (23:12); trial (24:2); shipwreck (27:27); and snake bite (28:3). What is so profound is the last verse found in the book of Acts; in testament to Paul's determination to remain steadfast in his calling, we find these words: "Boldly and without hindrance he (Paul) preached the kingdom of God and taught about the Lord Jesus Christ" (28:31).

We must remember that God's calling in our lives may not always lead us down the path of peace and tranquility; in fact, God's calling may involve toil and tribulation. What we must not forget is that God's calling is always best for our lives, no matter what personal cost we may have to endure in fulfilling it. God is glorified when we respond in obedience to His commands, and we will receive His peace to press on in fulfilling the commission that He has given us.

No comments: